Now that Moana has been released the math and trivia needed to be updated. I’ve also added a brand new section at the end.
- The only movie that has its release order the same as its ranking in the countdown is One Hundred and One Dalmatians. I consider it the 17th best film, and it was the 17th film released.
- More than half of the Renaissance films are in the top ten and more than half of the top ten are Renaissance films.
- Eight of the ten Renaissance films are in the top 15.
- The highest-ranked Disney Princess film is Aladdin, and the lowest is Pocahontas. The complete ranking of said films is as follows: Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Pocahontas.
- The only Disney Princess film not ranked and reviewed is Brave. It’s a Pixar movie and therefore not part of the animated canon.
- The decades ranked by their average score is as follows:
1930s: 21 (only one film in this decade)
- That’s including Fantasia 2000 as ‘90s film though, because its premiere was in December 1999. Its wide release was January 2000. If it is included as a 2000s film, these are the averages:
1930s: 21 (only one film in this decade)
- The highest and lowest ranked film from each decade are as follows:
1930s: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (only film in this decade)
1940s: Fantasia, The Three Caballeros
1950s: Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland
1960s: The Jungle Book, The Sword in the Stone
1970s: Robin Hood, The Aristocats
1980s: The Little Mermaid, The Black Cauldron
1990s: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas
2000s: Lilo & Stitch, Chicken Little
2010s: Frozen, Winnie the Pooh
- There is only one CGI movie in the top ten, and only three in the top 20.
- Only two movies in the top ten were worked on by Walt Disney himself, and only one of the two was released in his lifetime.
- 40 of the 56 films are good or great. That’s 71%.
- 19 of the 56 are great. That’s 34%.
- Only three films are in the bad category. That’s 5%.
- My ranking indicates that the movies have been getting better over time.
Remember, lower is better
The longest review is The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The shortest is Saludos Amigos. The average for a review is 740 words. Robin Hood is the only review in the top 10 that isn’t more than 1000 words long. Moana is the only review not in the top 10 that is more than 1000 words. Fantasia 2000 is the only sequel with a shorter review than its predecessor. Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh have the same number of words and both are sequels. Not one movie has its release order the same as its review length order. The following movies have matching numbers in my ranking and in review length: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Fantasia, and Fun and Fancy Free. Here’s every review ranked by word count (note that word counts do not include footnotes, the list recap at the end of The Lion King, or the updated lists at the end of Zootopia and Moana).
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2814
- Frozen 2583
- The Lion King 1504
- Mulan 1262
- Beauty and the Beast 1225
- The Little Mermaid 1203
- Fantasia 1163
- Moana 1149
- Aladdin 1145
- The Jungle Book 1060
- Wreck-It Ralph 948
- The Princess and the Frog 910
- Zootopia 868
- Tangled 866
- Robin Hood 790
- Big Hero 6 750
- Pocahontas 738
- Sleeping Beauty 701
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians 655
- Lady and the Tramp 650
- Lilo & Stitch 646
- The Great Mouse Detective 639
- Peter Pan 634
- Hercules 633
- Dinosaur 629
- Cinderella 621
- The Rescuers Down Under 614
- The Rescuers 612
- Tarzan 600
- Pinocchio 599
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire 588
- The Black Cauldron 587
- Bolt 568
- Chicken Little 550
- Bambi 542
- Dumbo and Home on the Range 539
- Brother Bear 522
- The Three Caballeros 520
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 518
- Treasure Planet 500
- Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh 487
- The Fox and the Hound 473
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 467
- Make Mine Music 460
- Melody Time 446
- Meet the Robinsons 417
- Alice in Wonderland 416
- The Emperor’s New Groove 405
- The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad 402
- The Sword in the Stone 395
- Fun and Fancy Free 390
- The Aristocats 383
- Oliver & Company 344
- Saludos Amigos 307